UKMTO Weekly Report 22 July 2019
1. UKMTO has issued one Advisory and no Warnings this week (see page 3).
2. In response to the incidents reported at para 1, Flag State guidance was given to Red Ensign Group (UK) shipping transiting the Strait of Hormuz and Persian Gulf.
3. All CSO’s should ensure that they are fully aware of the latest Flag State guidance and that it is communicated in a timely manner to Masters to allow completion of an informed ‘threat and risk assessment’ of their intended passage, in accordance with Section 3 of BMP5.
4. A group of shipping industry organizations has today jointly issued reporting guidance for vessels transiting the Arabian Gulf (AG), Straits of Hormuz (SoH) and Gulf of Oman (GOO) (see Page 4). The guidance is available on the following websites: https://bit.ly/30Njpbf , https://bit.ly/32Iz4uk and https://bit.ly/30Njpbf
5. The latest Industry Releasable Threat Assessment (01 Mar 19) and Bulletin (24 Jun 19) issued jointly by Commander Maritime Forces (CMF) and European Union Naval Force (EUNAVFOR) can be read at www.mschoa.org (log-in required). Advisories and Alerts issued by U.S. Maritime Administration (MARAD) can be read at http://bit.ly/2NSMTTr
6. Open Source Media Articles of interest. UKMTO is not responsible for the accuracy of this reporting.
a. 19 Jul 19 - What’s behind Iran’s actions in the Strait of Hormuz? (Los Angeles Times): https://lat.ms/2SulpSN
b. 19 Jul 19 - U.S. amphibious group patrols Arabian Sea as Iran tensions simmer (Reuters): https://reut.rs/2SvGz2N
c. 19 Jul 19 - Commander CTF151 reinforces strong ties with the Royal Navy of Oman: https://bit.ly/2LANmHR
d. 20 Jul 19 – Tanker seizure: Jeremy Hunt urges Iran to release Stena Impero: https://bbc.in/2JP6QW4
e. 20 Jul 19 - Iran says its seizure of British ship a ‘reciprocal’ move (The Philadelp
No Warnings issued.
1. Category: INCIDENT 2. Description: UKMTO is aware of 2 incidents in PSN 2625N 05621E and PSN 2602N 05458E, The UK and its partners are currently investigating. VESSELS TRANSITING THE AREA ARE ADVISED TO EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION.
Reporting Guidance for vessels transiting the Arabian Gulf (AG), Straits of Hormuz (SoH) and Gulf of Oman (GOO)
A. UKMTO Advisory Notice 002/JUL/2029.
B. U.S. Maritime Alert 2019-004A.
D. UKHO Security Chart Q6099.
The incidents against tankers transiting Straits of Hormuz on Friday 19 July have been widely reported (Ref A & B).
To ensure the safety of all vessels and allow navies to afford best protection to global trade it is vital:
Masters register with UKMTO when entering the Indian Ocean VRA (Ref C & D).
Comply with Flag State Guidance.
24-48 hrs in advance - Masters provide transit plans for the SoH and AG to UKMTO including:
o Time of Entering/Exiting the SoH TSS.
o Outline of Navigation Plan whilst operating in SoH and AG.
o Any constraints or speed restrictions. o Crew Nationality. CSO’s ensure all contact numbers for UKMTO and USNAVCENT NCAGS are correct.
In the event of any incident or being concerned, Masters should call UKMTO immediately.
Masters answer all VHF calls from coalition navies.
Ch16 is becoming very busy, alternative channels will be offered.
CSOs and Masters prepare, print and have available the correct response if called on VHF.
Useful BMP Contact details:
UKMTO: Tel: +44 2392 222060 firstname.lastname@example.org
USNAVCENT NCAGS 24/7 Watch: +973-1785-0084 CUSNC.NCAGS_BW@me.navy.mil